Don’t know about you, but I ALWAYS have to have my apartment ‘straightened’ up before I leave for work. Nothing is worse than coming home from a long day at work and seeing the apartment a mess. So I usually try and do a few simple things in the morning that literally take 5 minutes, that way when I come home it’ll be clean for me. Here are my secrets:
1. Always make the bed in the morning. I know that you’re tired when you first wake up, but take two seconds to smooth down the sheets and blanket and adjust the pillows. If a room has a messy bed, the room appears messy and unorganized. But if the bed is straightened and the pillows are upright, then the room looks clean and in order.
2. The next stop is the bathroom. If you’re like me, you’ll get your hair brush, toothpaste and toothbrush out to use and then hop in the shower. But, before you leave the bathroom, make sure you put away those items you just put on the counter. Although it may seem like a waste of time, having a clean counter in a bathroom makes the bathroom look less messy.
3. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, right? So after you prepare your breakfast, make sure you pick up after yourself. To have your kitchen looking clutter free, put the dishes away (either by cleaning them or hiding them in the dishwasher). Keeping your sink free & clear of dishes will help your kitchen appear neat and tidy.
4. Put any clothes or shoes that are lying on the floor in a certain spot. Whether your clothes need to be hung up in the closet or put in the laundry hamper or shoes go on a shoe rack. If you start to make a habit of putting your clothes up when you take them off, you’ll save precious time by not having to clean it up later!
5. And finally, make sure that any lose papers (i.e. newspapers, bills, etc.) are straightened up and put in a specific area (preferably one that you already have organized so you can find those items again later). This will help clear up the floors, coffee and dining room tables.
While it may seem like doing all this in the morning takes longer than 5 minutes, doing it daily will eliminate some of the clutter that has started pilling up. Day by day, the pile will dwindle down and it will take you less than five minutes. Next time you come home from work, you’ll walk into a nice, clean house-leaving you time to relax!