Once you have finished the long apartment search, moved all your belongings out of the truck and unpacked everything, it’s time to make the place your own. Apartment decorating brings with it some special considerations which you will want to keep in mind when deciding what you want to do in terms of styling your new home. You’ll want to keep the following things in mind before you get things underway:
- Any regulations in terms of the lease. Make sure that there are no stipulations that will prevent you from implementing any ideas that you have come up with.
- Be realistic. Major changes such as taking down walls or adding a patio may not be possible for the duration of your time as a tenant in an apartment building.
- Your neighbors. If you are decorating and it will involve pounding nails into walls or if friends are coming over to help paint, let the people around you know ahead of time.
- The length of your stay there. If the lease is short term or month-to-month, you’ll want to take it easy on decorating. If you know you may be in the place for a few years it can affect how much effort you are willing to put in.
- Safety. Make sure you don’t block exits, use the correct wattage in light bulbs and avoid overloading electrical sockets. It doesn’t matter if it looks good if it is hazardous.
Category: Decorating and Entertaining