There are many types of modern apartment gardens that allow even renters to nurture their green thumbs. Begin your garden experience with ForRent.com’s list of 10 essential gardening tools for apartment dwellers:
1. Garden Fork/ Hand Cultivator – Prep your garden by loosening and aerating the soil with a hand cultivator before you plant.
2. Gloves –Use latex or rubber gloves to keep your hands clean and dry. For heavy duty gardening, choose gloves that have the knuckles and palms padded. This will protect your hands from sharp tools and plants with thorns.
3. Hand Trowel – Use hand trowels to plant small plants, bulbs, and seedlings. When choosing one, make sure that it is not too large or heavy. Also be sure to select a hand trowel with a rubber handle for better gripping.
4. Hand Pruner/Pruning shears or Scissors – Hand pruners are useful for trimming unwanted branches from small trees or woody plants. Scissors are great for harvesting small veggies, snipping herbs, and trimming dried leaves.
5. Watering Can – Consider getting a watering can with measure marks as well as adding reminders on your smart phone to regulate the amount of water you give your plants. Before watering, understand your plants’ specific moisture requirements to prevent over- or under-watering.
6. Mobile Planter – Mobile planters are perfect for the balcony. Because it’s so mobile, you can keep it out doors or bring it indoors if need be.
7. Gardening Seat or Kneeler/Kneepads – Enjoy gardening without straining your body by using a garden seat, kneeler, or kneepads.
8. Utility Bucket – An all-purpose bucket can keep all of your tools together, harvest your herbs, or be used as a planter.
9. Hat – A gardening hat can be stylish and functional. It can protect your skin from the sun’s rays while adding a bit of gardener flair to your wardrobe.
10. Herb Drying Rack – Dry and preserve your herbs to last all season.
These ten tools should help you get off on the right gardening foot, even in an apartment. Happy planting, renters!
Category: Apartment Life