Half of first marriages in the U.S. end in divorce, and money is the number one reason. Coupon and discounts only go so far, so to face more money (and possibly your marriage) consider getting a little creative.
Have Your Wedding Sponsored
- A wedding costs $20,000 on average. Why not get creative to save cash?
- Back in 2006, Dave Kerpen and Carrie Fisher wanted to have a big wedding but didn’t have the cash.
- After a little work, they raised $100,000 from 25 sponsors.
- Another bride auctioned off a bridesmaid spot in her wedding on eBay. 
- The Dr. Pepper Snapple Group bought the spot for $5,700.
Paint Your Roof with Reflective Paint
- Over 16% of electricity consumed each year is due to air conditioning.
- You can save up to 20% off your AC bill each month. 
- Some states offer rebates or incentives for painting your roof with reflective paint.
- This reduces your house’s cooling demand by 10% to 15% during the hottest months of the year.
Tightly Pack your Freezer
- Refrigerators can consume as much as 20% of all energy in a house.
- Making sure your freezer is full can save you some money.
- Another tip is to keep water bottles in the freezer when it isn’t full of food. 
- This reduces the temperature in the icebox so it doesn’t kick on the cooling device as often.
Lower the Thermostat During the Winter
- For each degree you lower, you’ll save 3% off of your heating bill.
- For warmth, put pans of water on various heat elements.
- This adds moisture to the air for dry skin and keeps the rooms warm for less.
Displace the Water in Your Toilet Tank
- Grab a plastic bottle and fill it with sand or water.
- Place it in your toilet tank.
- Each time you flush, you’ll save a gallon to half gallon of water.
- The average house stands to save 10 gallons a day.
- A family of 4 would save $90 a year, or 16 gallons a day using this method.
Train Your Cat to use the Toilet
- Toilet training kits for felines cost from $20 to $30.
- Cat litter can cost, on average, $110 a year.
- That’s a total of $1,650 if your cat lives to be 15 years old.
- Unfortunately, you can take a cat to water but you can’t make it flush.
Category: Apartment Life