Halloween season is the time for making cute and silly treats for all those Halloween parties! Or why not host your own “Halloween Treat Party” and make these delicious Silly Monster Cupcakes! They’re easy to make and your kids will love them. Whether you’re headed to a neighborhood gathering or hosting a school Halloween party, these “oogly eye cupcakes” will be a “spooktacular” addition!
These cupcakes are very customizable too. You can choose your favorite cake and frosting flavors for your friends and family. I chose a fudge chocolate cake with a vanilla buttercream frosting and included my recipes below! I also chose electric green and purple because I love using those colors for Halloween, but of course you can select your favorite Halloween hues.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
1 dozen cupcakes (recipe below)
1 batch frosting (recipe below)
food coloring (I used Duff’s gel colors in electric purple and electric green)
piping bags and tips (I used Wilton 3M and 4B)
striped straws (toothpicks will also work)
1 bag Wilton candy melts in white
assortment of mini chocolate chips and large sprinkles in green, black, purple, and green
MAKING MONSTER CUPCAKES
1. After cupcakes have cooled, begin your buttercream frosting!
2. Divide buttercream frosting into two halves. Use gel food coloring to turn one half purple and one half green (or your favorite Halloween colors).
3. Fill one color with a Wilton tip #4B (I used purple) and the other with a Wilton tip #1M (I used green).
4. Start with a swirl of purple frosting. Next, add a swirl of green frosting. Finish with a dollop of purple. You can choose your own layers too!
5. Cut paper straws in half.
6. Melt a small bowl of candy melts to create “glue”.
7. Use the “glue” (melted candy melts) to adhere a large white candy melt to the shortened paper straw.
8. Use the glue (or frosting) to add on a Halloween sprinkle and chocolate chip for the eyeball! You can choose to make your eyes however you’d like (purple, green, black, etc).
Enjoy your monster cupcakes this Halloween!
Fudge Chocolate Cupcake Recipe
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Fill cupcake tray with liners.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine ingredients and stir or mix until blended and free of any lumps.
3. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
4. Let cool.
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting Recipe
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
3-4 cups confectioner’s sugar (powdered sugar), sifted
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter for 2 minutes on medium speed. Adjust speed to low and add powdered sugar to butter, one cup at a time, until well incorporated. Add salt, vanilla extract, and milk or heavy cream. Beat on medium for 3 minutes. Add additional powdered sugar or milk/cream until desired consistency is reached. For firmer frosting, add more powdered sugar (1/4 cup at a time). For looser frosting, add more milk or cream (1 tablespoon at a time).
Growing up in the South, she attended Vanderbilt University earning both a bachelors in Communications + masters in Organizational Leadership. Her expertise has been seen in HGTV.com, Nashville Lifestyles Magazine, Ladies Home Journal, AOL’s DIY Life, Get Married Magazine, and MarthaStewart.com. She works with brands such as Tostitos, Pier 1, Orville Redenbacher, Sterling Wines, Sierra Mist, and Lindt to connect consumers with their products in an entertaining setting. She writes for Disney,The Huffington Post, SHE KNOWS, Hostess With the Mostess, and Tablespoon.