What amenities do residents really want in their apartments?
Renters often wonder which amenities will add the greatest appeal to their apartments. To help answer this question, we regularly analyze data from actual renters searching for properties on ForRent.com to determine the most in-demand amenities.
Here’s what we found:
1. Dishwasher. This is a convenience that many apartment renters get used to and just can’t live without.
2. Pool. No big surprise here. Typically most renters look for apartment communities with a pool. If you don’t have a pool in your actual community, advertise a nearby community pool.
3. Playground. Renters with children look at this a top priority when selecting their next new home. Be sure to specifically highlight what types of equipment you offer.
4. Garages. Garages are an important amenity not only because it provides convenience to the renter but it also provides a sense of security.
5. Fireplace. When renting in a market with cooler climate, people look forward to using their fireplace both to stay warm and it’s great for hanging those holiday decorations! For slightly warmer markets, renters also would like to see an outdoor fireplace or fire pit for entertaining.
6. Spa. Spas have become a must-have amenity in many renters’ minds, especially those who live in cooler climates.
7. Large Dogs. People love their pets! Although it may not be a traditional amenity, accepting large dogs at your property could significantly increase your occupancy rates.
8. Accepts Credit Card Payments. People love their credit cards especially if they earning airline miles, points or cash back with purchases. This not only provides convenience to the renter but also rewards.
9. Wireless Internet Access. It’s no secret that Wi-Fi usage is exploding. The wireless technology, which allows people to roam around small areas while surfing the Web with a laptop, PDA or smart phone, is gaining popularity in every market around the country. A recent study by In-Stat, reveals that there were 184 million Wi-Fi enabled cell phones shipped in 2010 and more than 245,000 Wi-Fi enabled Hot Spots. According to Pew Internet Research, 74% of American adults (ages 18 and older) use the internet and 55% of American adults connect to the internet wirelessly, either through a WiFi or WiMax connection via their laptops or through their handheld device like a smart phone. If you don’t already offer a WiFi connection, contact your local cable or phone company for more details.
10. Air Conditioning. Renters don’t want to deal with one extreme to another when it comes to temperature. They want temperatures.
11. Cable/Satellite. Who doesn’t love TV? TV is a popular search term; however, it doesn’t hurt to include more details in your listing about any high-end televisions you may have located at the community and also be sure to specify if you have “Cable” or “satellite TV” as they also rank highly in searches.
12. Patio/Balcony. No matter what type of outdoor living area you’re properties have, be it a porch, deck, terrace, balcony or patio, be sure to provide a detailed description and photo(s) in your listing.
13. Accepts Electronic Payments. This is not only convenient for renters but also for managers. Electronic payments allow for a faster availability of funds. Payment card and Check 21 transactions can be authorized and settled instantaneously.
14. Pets Allowed. Some people just can’t stand the thought of living without their furry companion.
15. Fitness Center. Many people find that exercise facilities within an apartment community are high on their list of amenities. This is a convenience that can really make your community stand out above its competition especially in a tough economy where gym memberships might be tough to keep.
If you’re considering adding new amenities to your apartment community, these top requests from actual renters’ are a great starting point. If upgrades are being made, be sure to update your ForRent.com listings so that renters’ are aware of everything you have offer. Make sure you have completely filled out the amenities section of your Internet ad by checking off all the relevant boxes for both your community and your features within each unit.
Category: Apartment Life