America is in the midst of football season; which also means it’s the perfect time to participate and/or host in a special kind of social gathering known as a chili cook-off. There are an infinite number of chili recipes in the world shared by those competing to have the best bowl around. My favorite chili recipe is a twist off of the traditional recipe. Instead of red meat (beef) and a tomato-based sauce, I prefer white chili made with turkey or chicken meat. I have shared my favorite slow cooker white chicken chili recipe below for a new idea to bring to the table at your next cook-off!
- 3 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans, drained
- 8 ounces chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups bell peppers, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, stemmed, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- sour cream
- shredded cheddar cheese
- tortilla chips
- Combine all ingredients except sour cream, cheddar cheese, and chips in slow cooker.
- Cover. Cook on Low 8-10 hours, or High 4-5 hours.
- Ladle into bowls and top individual servings with sour cream, cheddar cheese and chips.
- I usually add another 6-8 ounces more chicken meat because I prefer a chunkier texture. Keep in mind the recipe tastes great with turkey, too.
- Because I like my chili with a lot of heat, I add the seeds from the jalapeno peppers into the slow cooker.
- Instead of using regular tortilla chips, I garnish my bowl of chili with corn chips.
Recipe provided by: “Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook: Feasting with your Slow Cooker.”
Photo by: sweettreatsmore.com
Category: Food & Entertaining