Container gardening is a fantastic option for those living in an apartment; especially those who do not have a yard. It can be fun to grow fresh herbs that you can use in cooking. Here are some terrific tips for getting started:
- Make sure containers have good drainage holes and that the containers are large enough to accommodate the plants you choose to grow.
- Most plants will need a window that gets at least five hours of sunlight a day, which is usually a south or west window. Watch out for drafts, and avoid placing near radiators.
- Use a soil mixture that includes two parts potting soil to one part sand for good drainage.
- Start with herbs that are easy to grow, such as chives, parsley, basil, thyme, mint and rosemary.
- Be careful not to over water. Herbs don’t do well in really wet soil.
- Make sure to let herbs grow a bit before harvesting them to use in cooking.
With just a little bit of time and care you will have a nice, indoor herb garden. Container gardening can provide you with the satisfaction of an outdoor garden without a lot of the hassle.
Category: Going Green