Apartment energy savings can be huge when it comes to lighting. According to ENERGY STAR, if every home in the United States replaced an incandescent light bulb with an ENERGY STAR rated compact florescent bulb, enough energy would be conserved to light three million homes.
Not only can you do your part to reduce the drain on resources, you can save yourself money as well. Here are some ideas for managing the light use in your apartment:
- Change the regular light bulbs to compact florescent bulbs. They have a higher initial cost but last longer and use less energy. Remember to dispose of them properly when they burn out; they contain mercury.
- Use dimmers on regular lights when possible.
- During the day, open window shades, blinds and curtains to let in natural light rather than turning on lights in the apartment.
- Light some candles (but never leave them unattended).
- Turn off lights when not in use or before you leave the apartment.
Just including these simple steps in your day-to-day life can make a big difference when it comes to the bottom line on your electric bill. You can also feel good about the fact that you are living a more environmentally friendly lifestyle.
Category: Apartment Life