Looking for some moving packing tips that will make the trip less of a hassle? Choose from some of the following and save time and energy on the big day:
- Start the packing process early and do a little bit at a time.
- Try to transport electronics in their original containers when you can. The packing material was designed specifically for that item and will protect it best.
- Pack books and heavy items in small boxes. Weight adds up quickly and big boxes are hard to lift and maneuver. Keep boxes under 50 pounds whenever possible.
- Write room names on the outside of boxes with permanent marker so you can take them directly to the place where they will eventually go. Packing one room at a time can make unloading much easier on moving day.
- Make sure you wrap fragile items well in bubble wrap and mark boxes "fragile" so they are treated gently. Try to keep these boxes toward the top of the stack so they don’t get smashed.
- Heavy blankets can be used to drape over furniture to help protect it during the move.
- Keep important items such as medication and paperwork available for moving day.
- Have a scissors or box knife handy for when you need to start unpacking everything.