The apartment search: a rite of passage in almost everyone’s life. It can be a very fun process, especially if you know what you’re looking for. However, many who dive into the rental search are unsure of exactly how to navigate the rough waters of property managers, leasing paperwork or staff, amenities, location and more. ForRent.com is here to help! Read on for a list of things to make sure you keep in mind during the search for your next apartment.
1) Location: You may love the apartment community, the amenities, and the area, but if the location is inconvenient, it can cause a lot of problems. A 30-minute commute to work with an additional 30 minutes to an hour of traffic due to poor location may get old very quickly.
2) Cell Phone Service: One of the most common (and irritating) issues apartment dwellers run into is little to no cell phone service. During your apartment visit, be sure to ask about nearby cell towers. Don’t be afraid to ask people you see walking around what cell phone provider they use and how their service is. Plus, it’s always good to chat with the neighbors before you sign a lease. There’s nothing more annoying than missing calls in your own home, and having to walk outside to talk.
3) Amenities: One of the main ones being laundry! Though it may not seem like a big deal, living in an apartment without access to a washing machine and dryer can become an issue. You may think a once or twice weekly trip to the Laundromat isn’t a big deal, but it is less than ideal! If there is not a laundry unit in your apartment, ask about an on-site laundry facility.
4) Parking, Parking, Parking! As anyone who has lived in a crowded (which most are) apartment complex knows, not being able to find parking or discovering that someone else has taken your spot is one of the most undesirable aspects of apartment living. Make sure to ask the management about parking rules, passes and availability.
5) Ask Questions! Lots of people forget to ask questions, even if some of them may seem silly. Can you paint? Can you have guests stay overnight? Are there residential quiet hours? What about rules for garbage and recycling? These are all great questions to ask before you decide to move in.
For more tips and tricks on the apartment rental process, head to ForRent.com today!
Category: Apartment Searching