Smartphone use is on the rise, with 101.3 million reported users as of March, 2012. The number of people finding apartments or houses with the aid of their smartphones (and mapping technology) is on the rise as well. [2,3]
But which operating systems reign supreme in house-hunting and mapping in Boston?
Apartment and House Finding Usage:
44.52% of apartment-seekers use Android operating systems.
53.82% use Apple’s iOS (iPhone) to locate apartments.
1.66% use other smartphone operating systems.
35.80% use Android operating systems to find houses for sale.
62.68% use iOS for their home-finding needs.
1.52% use other smartphone operating systems.
41.90% use maps on Android devices.
56.67% view their maps on the iPhone.
1.43% use maps on other operating systems.
33.66% use maps on Android devices.
65.27% view their maps on the iPhone.
1.07% use maps on other operating systems.
Smartphone Usage 
- ComScore indicates that 28% of September 2012 traffic came from smartphones.
- This is an increase of 166% since March.
- Both iPhones and Android devices saw record increases between March and September, averaging 191%.
- ForRent.com received 13% of its traffic from iPhones in September, 2012.
- 15% of traffic in the same period came via an Android device.
- According to comScore, 27% of Homes.com September, 2012 traffic came from smartphones.
- This is an increase of 80% since March.
- Both iPhones and Android devices saw record increases between March and September, averaging 93%.
- Homes.com received 14% of its traffic from iPhones in September, 2012.
- 13% of traffic in the same period came via an Android device.
* Android is a trademark of Google Inc.
* The Android robot is reproduced or modified from work created and shared by Google and used according to terms described in the Creative Commons 3.0 Attribution License.
* The Apple logo, “iPhone,” and “iOS” are registered trademarks of Apple, Inc.
* (Title) is an independent (publication) and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Apple Inc.