People moving into Austin, Texas apartments will be pleased to know that the city is very green. Austin has a zero-waste goal, and has implemented many environmentally friendly programs throughout the city. Here are a few of the highlights so you can get an idea of what is going on:
- Austin has a curbside recycling program and it was one of the first in the state.
- The city has long been a supporter of green building programs and continues to do so.
- The city adopted a ban on smoking in public places in 2005.
- Redevelopment plans consider green strategies. Most of the downtown buildings are green and energy efficient. The City Hall has received the LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) gold certification.
- The airport recently completed an energy upgrade project that will reduce energy consumption by 12% each year.
- Adding improved bike lanes upped bicycle travel by almost 100% between 1990 and 2000.
These are just some of the green strategies, awards and ideas that the City of Austin has included in its plan to keep greening the area. If you are choosing to live there, you can feel good about your contribution to the system.