When you are actively on a roommate search, you can forget to put yourself out there for the other person to get to know a bit. Letting potential roommates know who you are should be part of the process. Here are some things to consider sharing when you are talking seriously with someone about sharing an apartment:
- Your background. Where you grew up and a little about what it was like.
- A brief description of your job and where you work.
- Why you are looking for a roommate.
- Why you are moving to the area and what you need in an apartment.
- Your likes and dislikes in terms of a few things such as musical taste or movies.
- Any medical issues you might have that they should know about, such as allergies to food or migraines.
- The status of any romantic relationships that may have an impact on your sharing an apartment together. If you think you might get married or are planning on having your date over all the time, let the other person know that up front.
- You might also consider sharing a few words about your own rental history to let them know you are reliable and trustworthy.