The giving season is upon us! This is a time when volunteering is at an all time high. Strangers come together to participate in the selfless act of volunteering, freely giving their time, money and support to a specific cause. But, did you know that volunteering has benefits towards your health? According to The Healing Power of Doing Good (Luks and Payne, 1991), altruism, the selfless concern for or devotion to the welfare of others, can have powerful health and healing benefits:
- A sense of well-being, exhilaration and euphoria.
- A more positive and happier outlook on life.
- Decreased stress as well as a greater sense of calmness, relaxation and serenity.
- A greater sense of connectedness with others.
- Reduction of high blood pressure and other cardiovascular effects.
Helping others allows us to forget about our stresses and turn that energy into something positive.
So, how and who are you helping? For Rent Media Solutions decided to forgo holiday parties this year. Instead, we made a contribution to Toys for Tots, a non-profit organization that seeks to deliver, through a new toy at Christmas, a message of hope to less fortunate youngsters that will assist them into becoming responsible, productive, patriotic citizens. You can too! Click the link below to make a donation and find a drop off location.
But, we’re not the only ones. Check out how the Apartment Association of Greater Dallas is giving back to such a deserving organization.