There are some smart ways to make your car rental experience go more smoothly. Here are a few tips that can save you time and money:
- Ask for a spare key. Most places will give you one; but only if you ask them. This small thing can save you a fortune should you lose a key somewhere.
- Fill up the gas tank before you return the car. This is important because many car rental places will charge you extra if you forget. Write yourself a note, have someone else remind you or whatever it takes to be sure you do this.
- Take a good look at the vehicle before your trip. Look carefully for any signs of damage and make sure you get any issues documented in writing from a staff member prior to leaving the lot. You don’t want to be responsible for them later on.
- Know what size rental you need and go for the cheapest option.
- See if you qualify for a free upgrade when renting the car. Only do this if it won’t cost you a lot more money in gas.
- Keep your eye out for any airport service charges and return the car to another location if it will save you money.