If there is one food synonymous with picnics in my opinion, it’s watermelon! When dreaming up a picnic-worthy dessert, I decided to turn this iconic summer fruit into a layered cake parfait. Desserts that are easy to pack as well as eat are the only way to go for a picnic, so leave messy treats at home and enjoy these watermelon cake parfaits.
You can truly let your creativity run wild with layered mason jar desserts. Think banana pudding, key lime pie, birthday cake, you name it! I love the bright green and pink of watermelon, however, so that’s what I decided to choose. I also love the presentation because it’s perfect for a picnic party. You can easily see the fun, layered colors right through the jar. Plus, you can tie on a cute mini spoon or fork for easy eating.
You’ll find the recipe below! Happy picnicking!
Watermelon Cake in Mason Jars
- 2 boxes white cake mix
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 4+ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 tablespoon milk
- green food coloring
- pink food coloring
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Prepare both cake mixes as directed on the package. Add 1 tablespoon of green food coloring to one cake batter, and 1 teaspoon of green food coloring to the second cake batter to create one darker green and one lighter green cake. Pour each cake batter into a 9”x13” or larger sheet cake pan and bake according to the package instructions. Be sure a toothpick inserted comes out clean, but do not overbake.
- After both sheet cakes have cooled, use a round cookie cutter the same size as your mason jar (2½” or similar) to cut out cake rounds in the dark and light green cakes. You will need one of each cake for each mason jar.
- To make the frosting, beat room-temperature butter until it’s creamy. Add in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time. Beat in extracts, salt, milk and several drops of pink food coloring until the desired pink color is reached. Add more powdered sugar or milk until the desired consistency is reached.
- Using either a spatula or piped from a piping bag and tip, add frosting on top of the light green cake layer. Top with mini chocolate chips.
- Tie on a mini spoon with ribbon or raffia, and enjoy at your picnic!
- Recipe makes 1 dozen mason jar parfaits.
- You can make these treats up to two days before and store them in the refrigerator until picnic time. This makes packing the perfect picnic just a little easier! Note: If you want your cake parfait to taste like watermelon too, then simply add in a drop of watermelon flavoring to your cake and frosting!
You can make these treats up to two days before and store them in the refrigerator until picnic time. This makes packing the perfect picnic just a little easier!
Note: If you want your cake parfait to taste like watermelon too, then simply add in a drop of watermelon flavoring to your cake and frosting!
For more picnic ideas, check out these fun articles: