What are simple ways to save some money when I’m living on my own?
Once you are in an apartment, you’ll want to make sure you are able to make your rent and pay your utilities each month. To do this, you may have to scale back on a few things, or come up with some money saving ideas to get your costs in line. Here are some tips for cutting back that can put a little extra money toward expenses:
- Pass on fast food. Eating out can be a major expense; even if it is just a quick bite a few times a week. Cutting out restaurant food can really tighten up the budget. Get out the pots and pans and start saving yourself some cash.
- Ride a bike. Scaling back the use of a vehicle or skipping daily train fees will add up really fast. Plus, you’ll get some exercise.
- Lower the thermostat. If you are paying for heat, it can be costly. Put on a sweater instead, just like Mom always says.
- Skip the air conditioning. This may not be practical if you are on the third floor in Arizona, but if you can use the breeze to stay cool, by all means open the windows.
- Go easy on indulgences. Instead of buying a latte at the coffee shop every morning, make your own. Put the money that you would have spent ($2-$3) in a jar every day. Within a month, you’ll see your savings grow!
- Resale shop. Instead of buying full-price items, check out resale shops, garage sales and thrift stores. You can really get some great deals. Try thrift stores, Goodwill, vintage shop and even ebay. You can find great clothing if ytou spend some time looking around.