Vinegar has over 100 different uses and can be used as a cheaper alternative to some of the pricier items we use on a daily to weekly basis (i.e. fabric softener and bathroom cleaners)
1. Sometimes the plant food they give with your bouquet of flowers doesn’t seem to work. You can prolong the life of store bought or fresh cut flowers by adding 2 tbsp. vinegar and 3 tbsp. sugar per quart of water used.
2. Got some wilted vegetable that you’re about to toss? Soak wilted vegetables in 2 cups of water and 1 tbsp. vinegar to bring them back to life.
3. Suppress appetite by adding some vinegar to your meal, or by adding 1 tbsp. of vinegar and honey to a glass of water and drink before meals.
4. There are a lot of wives tales around how to get rid of hiccups; holding your breath, drinking water, or have someone scare you. Instead try drinking 1 tbsp. to get rid of those pesky hiccups.
5. Dabbing vinegar onto a bug bite or bee sting will help remove itching and pain. I never have anti-itch cream in my house so this will definitely come in handy.
6. During the winter I usually end up being late to something at least once or twice because I was busy getting my credit card out and scraping ice off my car windows that morning. To help keep your windows frost free during the winter coat your windows the night before you think it will frost/freeze with 3 parts vinegar to every 1 part of water.
7. Deodorize the kitchen drain. This is one problem that occurs every now and then in my house and drives me absolutely bonkers. One way is to pour a cup of vinegar down the drain once a week, let it rest for 30 minutes, and then flush with cold water. You can also make vinegar ice cubes, dump them down the disposal, run it, and then flush with cold water.
8. Clean your bathrooms with it. There have been a few instances where I’ve run out of cleaning products and didn’t have time to make it to the store. Vinegar can remove mildew, grime, and soap scum from bathtubs, tile, and shower curtains. Simply rub on and rinse with water.
9. Clean your eyeglasses or sunglasses. Being a person who wears glasses there is nothing more annoying than looking out of dirty glasses that can’t seem to get clean. Put a droplet of vinegar on each lens and wipe clean to keep your glasses clear.
10. Prevent lint from clinging on to clothes. I have one sweater notorious for leaving lint everywhere so this is a must try for me. Add ½ a cup of vinegar to your rinse cycle. This will also help keep your clothes colors bright.
Photo courtesy of felishumanus