Throughout my childhood I can remember my father in the kitchen (yes, my dad did a majority of the cooking in our household) making a fantastic Thanksgiving feast. He always hated anyone being in the kitchen because they would be ‘in his way.’ So a new tradition that I have started the last few Thanksgivings is to create some type of dish at my apartment and bring it over for Thanksgiving dinner. That way I am still contributing to the amazing meal and helping without ‘being in the way!’
I found this fantastic recipe in a Taste of Home Thanksgiving magazine last year and decided that it needs to be a reoccurring dish from now on. It’s absolutely, positively delicious! Not to mention super easy. That’s my kind of side dish!
Corn ‘n’ Bean Bake Recipe
- 1 package (16 ounces) of frozen cut green beans
- 1 can (15.25 ounces) of whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (10.75 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted (can also substitute for cream of broccoli or cream of chicken)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) of shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- ½ cup of crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 12 crackers-can also be substituted for variety crackers depending on the complement flavoring you desire)
- 1. Preheat oven to350 degrees.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the beans, corn, soup and ½ cup of cheese. Spoon into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Top with remainder of cheese and crushed crackers.
- 3. Bake for 35 minutes or until heated through.
Hopefully you’ll find this dish to be as easy and delicious as I did. Who knows? Maybe you’ll start a new tradition in your family! Happy Thanksgiving!