Adding more fruits and vegetables in your diet can lower your weight and help you feel healthier. Here are some fruits and vegetables that are in season now to bring home to your kitchen. Have these foods on hand and you will be five minutes away from a fruit or veggie salad.
In April, these vegetables and fruits are at the peak of freshness:
- Spring peas
Now is a good chance to use fresh mangoes in the Mango Salsa recipe featured earlier in the year.
Below is a recipe for a quick and easy pasta salad that includes asparagus and broccoli. What a better way to celebrate these fresh ripe vegetables than with a meal?
- 1 (16 ounce) package of bow tie pasta
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 8 ounces fresh asparagus spears, trimmed and chopped
- 8 ounces diced cooked chicken breast meat
- 1 can kidney beans, drained
- 1 can sliced black olives, drained
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup Italian salad dressing, or as needed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta, and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Add broccoli florets and asparagus to the boiling water during the last 5 minutes. Drain, and run under cold water to cool.
- In a large serving bowl, stir together the diced chicken, kidney beans, black olives, green pepper, cherry tomatoes, feta cheese and Italian dressing. Stir in the pasta, broccoli and asparagus. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
This recipe is best serve chilled, and is perfect for warm weather!