Well folks, I’m finishing up my last week here at For Rent as their Marketing Intern. I hope you all have enjoyed my cooking blogs these past few months. With that being said I would like to leave you with one final recipe to try out! This one is great for any backyard barbecue because it tastes great and can be personalized into your own little work of art. Amaze your friends with this one of a kind creation!
Watermelon Fruit Bowl
• 1 large watermelon
• 1 cantaloupe, halved and seeded
• 1 honeydew melon, halved and seeded
• 2 (15 ounce) cans mandarin oranges, drained
• 2 (20 ounce) cans pineapple chunks, drained
• 2 cups halved fresh strawberries
• 2 cups seedless grapes
• 1/2 cup water
• 1/4 cup white sugar
• 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
1. With a large, sharp knife, remove the top 1/4 section of the watermelon. With a melon baller, scoop flesh from inside of watermelon, removing as many seeds as possible. Leave 1/2 inch of flesh inside the shell of the watermelon. Scoop cantaloupe and honeydew in the same manner, removing as much flesh as possible, and discarding the rinds. Refrigerate fruits separately until ready to assemble.
2. In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, bring water and sugar to a boil. Remove from heat, and continue stirring until sugar has completely dissolved. Add lemon zest, and set aside to cool.
3. To serve, place watermelon balls, cantaloupe, honeydew, oranges, pineapple, strawberries, and grapes, in a large mixing bowl. Pour syrup over, and toss thoroughly. Transfer mixture to watermelon bowl, and serve. Set aside any fruit mixture that will not fit. There will be enough fruit to refill the bowl.
Photo by Janet Hudson