Apartment Living BlogApartment Tips › Problems That Arise When Splitting the Rent

If you are splitting the rent without a lease and without a moving agreement set and one person is trying to move you out, what are my legal rights? I believe I am within my rights to move whenever I decide to.

Please advise.


  • Pinterest
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google+

The answer to your question will be based on the Landlord/Tenant laws of your particular state.  Under such laws, a renter without a written agreement is often referred to as a “tenant-at-will” or “tenant-at-sufferance” and the state law will determine how long you can stay and what type of notice to you is required from the person who has allowed you to live where you live.  Those time factors are usually in the 30-60 day range, but again, you will have to find out the specifics as to the jurisdiction of where this apartment is. Best of luck to you, Michael! Remember – it is ALWAYS best to get rental/leasing agreements in writing.

About :

Hi, all! I'm Maggie, the Assistant Manager of Public Relations and Events here at For Rent. I'm part of an awesome team of fun, creative people that love to get together and think up new ideas and solutions for the multifamily industry. Here at ForRent.com, I write and edit A LOT! Other things I love: reading, Netflix, rain storms, Thai food, beach days with friends and the Georgia Bulldogs.

Speak Your Mind


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This