Searching for pet-friendly apartments can be tough. Things like breed restrictions, pet deposits, local veterinarians and waste stations need to be taken into account when moving with your furry friend. Here are some helpful tips when looking for pet-friendly apartments:
1) Having trouble finding apartments that allow pets? ForRent.com allows you to search apartments based on pet-friendly filters both online and on the mobile app. Check it out today!
2) You may need to be willing to pay a little extra. The majority of apartments require that tenants pay a pet deposit fee, just in case your pet makes a mess! Additionally, breed restrictions are usually put in place, as some dogs are just too big for apartment living. Ask your leasing staff for the rules so that you are informed prior to moving in or adopting your pet!
3) You should start by promoting not only your pet, but yourself. Give property management companies and property owners proof that you have lived in a pet-friendly apartment before with no problems. Consider a letter of recommendation from a previous leasing office or property owner or from your vet or groomer. Why not bring your furry friend to meet them so you can show off how well-behaved your pet is!
4) If there is a no pet policy, DON’T try to sneak in your pets! This will just end badly for all parties involved.
5) Pet resumes are now all the rage! More and more pet owners are creating resumes for their pets to prove to hesitant property management companies/property owners that their pets are well-behaved. Pet resumes should include references, vet records, your pet’s age, breed and activity level, and any training your pet has received.
For more information on pet-friendly housing, browse the Apartment Living blog and let ForRent.com help you find your (and your pet’s!) next rental!
Category: Apartment Life