No discussion about environmentally friendly apartment living is complete without addressing food and water. Here are a few ideas for greening your consumption of both:
- Check out a farmer’s market in the area. Produce and other items are sold at these open air markets. See if you have one in your community and shop there as much as you can. You will be supporting local farmers and getting fresh food at the same time.
- Eat local. When eating out, opt for closer restaurants and try to choose ones that are privately owned rather than big chains. This will cut down on gas usage and also help support merchants in the community.
- Choose seasonal fruits and vegetables at the grocery store.
- Buy organic and fair trade goods whenever possible.
- Buy foods that have less packaging and recycle what you can.
- Take shorter showers and ask your landlord if you can install a low-flow shower head to save water.
- Turn the faucet off when brushing your teeth or shaving instead of letting the water run.
- Use a shorter wash cycle for clothing whenever possible.
- Defrost food in the refrigerator rather than under running water