Coming up with a roommate search checklist can be a great idea for knowing what you can and can’t handle. Set some criteria for yourself and stick to it when looking for someone to share your space. Anything can go on the list, but make sure to include the following basics to narrow down the search:
- Will you be more comfortable with a male roommate or female roommate?
- Are you open to living with someone who is of another sexual orientation or not?
- Would you prefer someone close to your own age, or does it matter?
- What type of smoking preference do you have?
- Are you a pet owner? Do you care about living with pets or have an aversion to them?
- Do you have any allergies?
- Are you hoping your roommate will have a vehicle? Would you share your vehicle with a roommate?
- Where do you want your apartment to be located? How open are you to adjusting that if you find the right person?
- Is there anything else that you can or can’t tolerate? It is important to map out as much in terms of absolutes as you can.