How to go about decorating your apartment depends a good deal on the space itself, and smaller apartments or studios often require a special approach. Here are some things that might make the task a bit easier:
- Mirrors can make the place look significantly larger.
- Opting for smaller furniture can help make more space.
- Consider putting some items in storage to make the apartment more livable.
- Take advantage of empty space for storage, such as under the bed.
- Utilize some organizing pieces, such as a bookcase or shelving unit to maximize vertical space.
- Add rods, shelves and cubes to your closet space to free up the living area for decorating and keep it from looking cluttered.
- If you are painting, add a darker color to one wall (often called a focal wall) to give the room more depth and style.
- Keep the overall color of small apartments light to make them look bigger.
- Use angles when placing furniture. It can help prevent areas from feeling closed off and give a more open, airy impression in your space.
- Buy “double duty” pieces of furniture that have storage built in. Look for things such as footstools that have a removable top and coffee tables with drawers in them.
Ready to move out of your old apartment and begin decorating a new apartment? Let ForRent.com be your guide.